Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Transition and change

September 23


Is it true that the word crisis in Chinese is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity (John F. Kennedy)?  I suppose in every opportunity there is the danger of failure, in every risk taken there is the danger that it will not turn out as you had hoped.  In every crisis there is the opportunity of a new path and a new direction.  I suppose we always have a choice in life, to take the risk and chance "failure" or to not attempt anything new, and stay in the "safe zone" of life.  Will you take the road less travelled?

As someone who is coping with mental illness and stress disorder, this is a very important question.  I cannot afford to put my mental and emotional health in danger, the cost would be too great.  So I must take care of my inner needs, while considering the advantages and disadvantages of moving to a new place with many unknowns.  Moving is a major stress, so is a new job and a new career, and even good stresses are shown to lead to cancer, so these are not things to be taken lightly.  The thought of changing locations just a year after making a major move is very stressful for me.  I realize that I long for security, stability, and structure in my life.  I also need healthy support systems to maintain and improve my emotional and mental health.  Nanaimo has great support in terms of counseling and services for women.  I have not yet taken advantage of all the opportunities here.  We are starting to make friends here and integrate into the community.  There is a wonderful Unity Church here, with a soulful minister and excellent ongoing study groups and meditations.

In terms of happiness, the book I am reading lists the four roots of happiness as follows:
Serenity
Exercise
Love
Food

Which spells SELF.  This is easy to remember.  It makes sense also, eating healthy and exercise are obvious things to increase positive endorphins and balance hormones.  I know the brain needs Omega 3 fatty acids, because the brain is composed of fat, and needs healthy fats to maintain itself.  Unhealthy fats destroy the body and lead to heart disease and strokes.

Meditation, chanting, journalling, music, all these things can increase serenity, and release stress.

 It is important to decrease the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight) and increase the parasympathetic (relaxation response).  Love sends positive endorphins such as seratonin through the body, which is the feel good chemical.  Connecting with a support system and loving relationships are proven to increase post-cancer survival rates.  Even prayer has been clinically proven to help people recover from surgery and heal faster.  I am praying for guidance as to the right direction for my husband and myself, if the opportunity to move to the north comes our way.  Weather is also a consideration, as I am strongly affected each winter by Seasonal Affected Disorder.

Christiane Northrup maintains that happiness is a choice that we choose to make each day.  I choose to live a more joyful life, and I open myself up to opportunities that will bring more joy and happiness my way.  Have a great day.
Love Michele



No comments:

Post a Comment